The US Navy apprehended armed attackers who temporarily captured an Israel-linked tanker off the coast of Yemen, following which missiles were fired at a US vessel aiding the tanker.
The incident: Armed individuals seized the Liberia-flagged Central Park tanker in the Gulf of Aden, before evacuating the ship and attempting to flee on their small boat.
* The mark was managed by Zodiac Maritime, and the crew and the vessel, which was transporting phosphoric acid, were unharmed.
* Ballistic missiles were fired from Houthi-controlled Yemen, landing approximately 10 nautical miles from the US warship aiding the tanker.
* The forces, including the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Mason, managed to get the attackers to surrender.
Beliefs on the attackers’ identity: Yemen’s internationally recognized government accused the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels of initiating both the seizure and the missile attack.
* Houthi rebels have yet to acknowledge these events.
* The Yemeni government label these actions as acts of maritime piracy performed by Houthi militias with the support of the Iranian regime.
* The location of the event is under control of the Yemeni government’s forces and is far from Houthi-controlled territory in the country.
The targeted company’s background: Zodiac Maritime is owned by Israeli billionaire Eyal Ofer’s Zodiac Group, and it has been previously targeted amid a shadow war between Iran and Israel.
* In 2021, an Iran-employed drone attack killed two crew members aboard Zodiac’s oil tanker Mercer Street off the coast of Oman.
* Another Zodiac related vessel was seized by the Houthis earlier in November.
Ongoing regional tension: This event takes place amidst growing maritime conflict, as the Israel-Hamas war threatens to expand into a broader regional conflict.
* As a result, global shipping has increasingly been targeted.
* Ships have started turning off their Automatic Identification System trackers due to possible targeting.
View original article on NPR
This summary was created by an AI system. The use of this summary is subject to our Terms of Service.