Despite legal indictments, Donald Trump remains the Republican frontrunner for the presidential nomination, whilst in Oklahoma, an ACLU lawsuit aims to stop a virtual charter school from opening and veterans are urged to sign up for retroactive PACT Act benefits before the August 9 deadline.
Trump’s Teflon: Despite two indictments and potential third, Trump remains at the forefront of the Republican presidential nomination.
* According to Franco Ordoñez of NPR, polls show that Trump gets a boost when he faces legal trouble.
* However, concerns are voiced that his legal problems could deter independents and swing voters, leading to worry among GOP leaders and donors about the general election.
School Opposition: The ACLU and nine Oklahoma residents are battling to prevent St. Isidore of Seville Catholic Charter School, a virtual charter school, from opening.
* Funded by Oklahoma taxpayers, opponents argue that the school’s opening would violate the principle of the separation of church and state.
* Critics suggest that the school could discriminate against students whose identities conflict with the Catholic Church and inadequately support students with disabilities.
Veteran Benefits: Veterans exposed to burn pits and toxins like Agent Orange are encouraged to sign up for the PACT Act benefits by the August 9 deadline.
* Although some veterans have expressed reluctance to sign up due to past disappointments with the VA or a desire to move on, veteran Dan Nevins encouraged his fellow veterans to sign up this time as the process should be easier.
Remembering Reubens: The creator and actor of Pee-wee Herman, Paul Reubens, has passed away from cancer at the age of 70.
* Seen by Stephen Thompson of NPR as an “embodiment of childhood,” Reubens’ portrayal of the character Pee-wee Herman was cherished by both children and adults.
Curbing Rights: As states conclude their legislative sessions, focus is being placed on the reduction of LGBTQ+ rights across the country.
* Attempts in Republican-dominated states to restrict drag performances for children have been largely unsuccessful.
* Gender-affirming care bans in twenty states have come under intense legal scrutiny over potential violations of the 14th Amendment.
This summary was created by an AI system. The use of this summary is subject to our Terms of Service.