A recent study estimates about 800 great white sharks might be residing off the coast of Cape Cod in Massachusetts.
Study Findings: Researchers recorded their encounters with sharks from 2015 to 2018.
* They made 137 trips to Cape Cod, during which they identified 393 sharks using commercial spotter pilots and video cameras.
* Some sharks were not included in the count due to unclear video footage or lack of unique features for duplicate identification.
Methodology: Researchers estimated the shark population using observation data and a model.
* The most shark sightings occurred in August and September, with fewer in June and July.
* The researchers found more males than females, possibly because their reproductive organs make them easier to identify.
Shark Demographics: The majority of the observed sharks were juveniles and “subadults”.
* Despite being known to frequent Cape Cod’s waters, great whites have been difficult to track because of their elusive nature and small populations.
This summary was created by an AI system. The use of this summary is subject to our Terms of Service.