Former President Donald Trump is currently facing a multitude of criminal and civil cases, with allegations ranging from defrauding the United States to sexual abuse.
Ongoing criminal cases: Trump is presently dealing with a number of criminal cases across multiple states.
* In his Mar-a-Lago classified documents case, he faces 37 charges and has pleaded not guilty. The case revolves around him allegedly storing classified documents at his resort. No trial date has been set yet.
* The Stormy Daniels case relates to hush money payments made prior to the 2016 elections, and sees Trump indicted on 34 felony counts of business record falsification. A trial date is set for March 25, 2024.
* The ex-president is also implicated in a grand jury investigation aiming to scrutinize efforts to overturn the 2020 election results, for which a series of criminal charges including a conspiracy to make a false statement, have been brought forward.
* Trump is under investigation for efforts to overturn 2020 election results in Fulton County, Ga. Indictments could be expected as soon as August.
Parallel investigations: There are also federal investigations ongoing that Trump may become involved in.
* The Jan. 6 case looks into the Capitol riot, with Trump being referred to the Justice Department for four charges.
* Trump and other allies’ efforts to subvert the 2020 Electoral College is part of an investigation with witnesses being summoned for interviews.
Civil lawsuits: Apart from criminal cases, there are also civil lawsuits against Trump.
* The New York case led by Attorney General Letitia James alleges Trump committed fraud by inflating his net worth, with a trial expected on Oct. 2, 2023.
* Writer E. Jean Carroll accused Trump of rape and defamation. This led to two lawsuits, the second one resulting in a $5 million damage award to Carroll. Trump’s appeal for a new trial in this case was rejected, and he in turn filed a defamation counterclaim against Carroll. The first lawsuit is now awaiting the court’s decision on expanding its scope.
This summary was created by an AI system. The use of this summary is subject to our Terms of Service.