Cyclist Wout van Aert has pulled out of the Tour de France to be with his pregnant wife, Sarah.
The departure: Van Aert, one of the race’s most exciting riders, decided to withdraw from the Tour de France as the event nears its end.
* This year, he served as a critical ally for defending champion Jonas Vingegaard, helping put pressure on top rival Tadej Pogacar.
* He has left the event without adding to his career nine stage wins.
* Van Aert expressed that he made the decision when his wife indicated that she needed him and that labor is imminent, saying, “My place is now at home.”
Team dynamics: Despite the loss, Van Aert believes his teammates will be able to continue strong.
* He expressed confidence that his team, Jumbo-Visma, will be able to guide Vingegaard, who currently has a comfortable lead, to the podium in Paris.
* Van Aert added that his teammates “are 100% behind me” in his decision.
Reflecting: Looking back, Van Aert sees his time in this year’s Tour in a positive light.
* Despite his departure, he stated that he will always remember this Tour as the one where he called home every day.
This summary was created by an AI system. The use of this summary is subject to our Terms of Service.