Soccer superstar Lionel Messi has officially signed with Major League Soccer’s Inter Miami, a deal that could advance the team significantly.
Breaking news: Messi’s contract with Inter Miami became official on Saturday, weeks after he declared that he would be joining the team.
* Messi’s first match for Inter Miami could be as soon as Friday in a Leagues Cup match against Cruz Azul.
* His contract is reportedly for 2 1/2 seasons and will earn him between $50 million and $60 million annually, putting the total contract value between $125 million and $150 million.
Messi’s impact: As one of the greatest players in soccer history, Messi’s move to Inter Miami is expected to be a game changer.
* Despite currently being in last place in the MLS’s Eastern Conference standings, Inter Miami is expected to benefit significantly from having a player of Messi’s caliber onboard.
Previous career: Before moving to Miami, Messi played for Paris Saint-Germain and also led Argentina to the World Cup title in December 2021.
* He has scored more than 800 goals in his career for club and country, making him one of the top scorers in soccer history.
* He is a four-time Champions League winner and his 129 goals in the top club competition are second only to Cristiano Ronaldo’s 140.
Expectations: The signing of Messi was anticipated for weeks and the club plans grand introductions and events.
* Inter Miami hopes to leverage Messi’s star power to improve its standing in the MLS where it has only won 34% of its matches so far.
Response: MLS Commissioner Don Garber expressed joy at Messi’s decision, stating that it signals the growing momentum and energy of soccer in North America.
* Messi himself stated he is “very excited” to join Inter Miami and looks forward to building the club and achieving its objectives.
This summary was created by an AI system. The use of this summary is subject to our Terms of Service.