Mindfulness techniques, including meditation, can improve your holiday experience and prevent stress and conflict, particularly during family vacations.
Background: Vacation can be challenging, especially with unexpected events and differing personality types.
* Dr. Michael Irwin, of the Mindful Awareness Research Center at UCLA, says mindfulness has significantly helped him cope with vacation stress.
Benefits of mindfulness: Mindfulness allows a person to be present in the moment, which can shift perceptions and responses when things don’t go as planned.
* Instead of reacting negatively to upsetting events, mindfulness can help you go with the flow and stay present.
* These practices can help manage both thoughts and feelings without losing temper.
Mindfulness techniques: Various techniques can help bring mindfulness into daily activities.
* Simple methods include focusing on breath for brief periods – or “micro-hits” – of meditation.
* Other practices include morning self-kindness meditation or the RAIN method (Recognize, Allow, Investigate, Nurture).
* Specific meditations can also help promote sleep or cultivate positive memory retrieval.
In practice: Practising these techniques during a vacation can help improve the overall experience by reducing stress and encouraging recall of positive memories, despite any mishaps.
This summary was created by an AI system. The use of this summary is subject to our Terms of Service.