President Biden has been using a CPAP machine to manage his sleep apnea.
President’s health: President Biden’s use of a CPAP machine for treatment of sleep apnea has been disclosed by the White House.
* This disclosure came after reporters noticed marks on Biden’s face from straps used to hold a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine’s mask.
* White House spokesman Andrew Bates confirmed the use of the machine, citing its commonality among people with a history of sleep apnea.
Medical history: Biden’s medical history reveals previous mentions of sleep apnea.
* His sleep apnea was first made public in 2008, following his selection as running mate by then Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.
* Sleep apnea was also mentioned in Biden’s 2019 medical report, though no mention of it has been made in medical reports during his presidency.
By the numbers: Sleep apnea affects 30 million people in the U.S, according to the American Medical Association.
* This condition, characterized by people not getting enough oxygen while asleep, often manifests in loud snoring.
Context: Given Biden’s age, his health is closely monitored.
* At 80 years old, Biden is the oldest serving U.S. President, which has led to concerns among voters about his potential for a second term.
* A recent medical report from February declared him “fit for duty”, as per his physician, Dr. Kevin O’Connor.
This summary was created by an AI system. The use of this summary is subject to our Terms of Service.