Belgian shot-putter Jolien Boumkwo ran the women’s 100-meter hurdles at the European Athletics Team Championships after key team members were unable to compete due to injury.
The big moment: Boumkwo gamely participated in the hurdles event, securing two points for her team, despite her main event being shot-put.
* She normally wouldn’t have competed in the event if not for her teammates’ injuries.
* Boumkwo set a personal season-best time of 32.81 seconds in the hurdles.
Team player: She told Agence France-Presse, “My team is the most important thing for me,” and said she agreed to run the hurdles as long as she could do it carefully.
* Her coach also approved of her participation in the event.
* She mentioned that hurdles were sometimes included in her training.
Outcome: Despite Boumkwo’s efforts, Belgium finished 14th out of 16 teams in the competition and faces relegation to Division 2 in the next European Athletics Team Championships.
* Boumkwo received praise for her commitment to helping her team, saying it would be worth it if her two points help Belgium stay in the top division.
This summary was created by an AI system. The use of this summary is subject to our Terms of Service.